Fluorescent Bulb Mercury Safety & Handling Guide

  • MovieTone bulbs contain atomized Mercury in gaseous suspension.
  • Mercury is an eye, throat, and skin toxin that can be deadly if inhaled, ingested, touched, or left untreated.
  • MovieTone bulbs do not have a plastic safety shielding like Kino-brand bulbs and have thinner glass walls than Kino-brand bulbs.
  • We strongly recommend handling un-shielded fluorescent bulbs with long-sleeve clothing, rubberized gloves, and a 3M 6000-series Half-Face (or Full-Face) Respirator in case a unit fails during installation or removal.
  • If the bulb shatters, the set should be evacuated immediately and completely until Mercury contamination abatement can be performed by a trained Hazmat mitigation professional.
  • Any broken units should NOT be handled, relocated, or physically-inspected by anyone other than trained Hazmat mitigation professionals.
  • Any food products that were exposed to mercury (even sealed products) should be disposed of completely (IE- If a bulb shatters over a grocery store shelf and dusts a whole shelf, the shelf contents must be disposed.)

  • For more information, please see OSHA’s article on Mercury cleanup here, and Colorado DPHE’s Compliance Bulletin on Mercury Cleanup.
  • We do not recommend handling your own cleanup, as a professional should be called to make sure all traces of mercury are swept clean via specialized inspection equipment before a crew returns to work.
  • Lightbulb is not liable for any usage liability or damages beyond initial delivery of the product.